GRC WOW: “Cardieaux”
Cardieaux is a complementary cardio workout to the Beaux-Body Plan to help you develop a body as hard as wood-pecker lips. You can check out the full Beaux-Body Plan here:
- The Beaux-Body Plan Intro and Part 1
- The Beaux-Body Plan Part 2: Chesticles
- The Beaux-Body Plan Part 3: Spartan-Shoulders
- The Beaux-Body Plan Part 4: Grunt Legz
- The Beaux-Body Plan Part 5: AAAArms!
In American sports, we specialize in what we are good at. If you run real fast and can catch – BOOM!!! You’re a receiver. If you’re tall and can throw – BAM!!! I guess we just found a quarterback.
“In my dreams I am Kenyan.”
That was my mantra when I was a high school runner. I ran around barefoot, starved myself, and listened to Kenny G. (Believe it or not, he is the most popular musician in Kenya. I guess that G stands for straight Gangsta.) When I joined the Marines, I was a 6’1″ 165-lbs warrior who learned something real fast: over-specialization leads to extinction. I may have been able to run a 16:45, 5K but I could only do 7 pullups. So I hit the gym and I started to slap muscle on like a sculptor slaps on clay. Then I got strong, but what I gained in strength I lost in speed and buoyancy. So I had to find that happy medium.
So I developed a cross training program that allows me to deadlift 420-lbs, squat 405 and run 19:15 5K. As an elite war-fighter you not only have to get to the mission in a variety of insertion methods (giggity) but you also have to sustain throughout the length of the mission, while carrying an excessive amount of weight and, if need be, overpower the enemy by use of fist-a-cuffs.
So if you incorporate this cardio with my weight training regiment, you will develop a body as hard as wood-pecker lips.
- Ruck: Once a week if you are just starting off go light weight light distance every week increase both. I top off at 12 miles and 55-lbs.
- Fin: Once a week. If you don’t have fins, get some – or do a lil’ run-swim-run action. Crawl stroke.
- Bike: Once a week. Go either 45 min constant speed, or do a 5 min warmup, 30 second sprint + 30 second recover x 5 to 7 laps. 5 min cool down.
- Rin: Plug it in everywhere else, but once a week do a 800m warmup, 400m sprint. 4-6 sets of that with 800m cool down. All continuous.
Incorporate this with lifting heavy sh*t!
Beaux is a GORUCK Challenge Cadre and a Force Recon Marine with multiple deployments to Iraq behind him. He is a mysterious force who cannot be contained by earthly methods. He showed up for Class 001 of the GORUCK Challenge proclaiming that he wanted to meet the kind of person who would sign up for this kind of thing. Those who have watched ‘Surviving the Cut’ may recognize him for some of the same antics he brings with him to the GORUCK Challenge. Beaux is known for articulating a unique sound and fury, known as Beauxetry, in his WOWs.
Spread the word about this GRC-WOW!
Do the mud run maniacs a solid by hitting one of those share buttons above to tell your friends about this week’s GRC-WOW! Thanks!