Time for Chili!
It’s that time of year. Cool, wet weather…blustery winds…mud runs galore and football on Sundays. What better timing for a lip-smacking chili? Warm your primordial bones with this weekend chili recipe adapted from Mark Sisson’s The Primal Blueprint.
What’s in it:
- 2-3 slices uncooked bacon (get the thick uncured stuff like this one from Nature’s Promise). Pancetta (Italian bacon) is another good option.
- 1-2 onions chopped (I prefer red onions, but feel free to use whatever color onion you damn-well please)
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic (or if you are like me and LOVE garlic breath, double this)
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 pound ground grass-fed beef (Organic or Certified Angus are solid substitutions)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano (dry will work fine)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I like the Hungarian stuff)
- 1 1/2 -2 cups broth and/or 1 dark beer, such as a porter or imperial stout (Tip: Whenever I boil my organic veggies, chicken or beef, I’ll store the broth in the freezer. Use it here.)
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes with the juice (4 mid-sized fresh organic tomatoes are just as perfect)
- 1 tablespoon unsweet cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 peeled carrots, peeled and diced
- 2-4 tablespoons canned chipotle chile, diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
How to make it:
Mud Run Maniac wants to know what you think of this mud run grub…
Post your comments/questions below. Thanks!